Tuesday, December 19, 2006

If He Didn't Make It - We're In a Heap of Trouble


Being someone who has dealt with the news of the death of someone more times than you can possibly imagine, you would think I take it all in stride.

On Sunday afternoon after the funeral in Reynolds I have already written about, a friend came up to me and gave me some news of a death that made me stop in my tracks.

His simple words: “I just found out that Joe Luce passed away today.”

Joe Luce, along with his two brothers, George and Buddy, from nearby Fort Valley, Georgia took Blue Bird Body Company to every corner of the world by their familiar yellow school bus with the stylized bird above their windows.

The company now known around the world was founded by their father, Albert L. Luce, Sr in 1927 when a friend asked Mr. Luce for a bus to transport his workers. This simple request gave him an opportunity to create the first Blue Bird school bus. A highly successful corporation was born. In fact, this company became the number one school bus company in the world.

Devout Christian men, this dad and three sons built their company on Christian principles and continued operating it with those same principles. They treated their employees like family and offered worship services at the plant for those who wanted to participate.

Not only did they successfully grow their company, but these Christian businessmen had a heart for missions and they spent their lives investing themselves and their resources for the cause of Christ in other parts of the world. They supported hundreds of missionaries throughout the world and heaven only knows what and who else they supported.

I remember one very small example that was huge to me that I have never forgotten. My brother and I went out on a limb in the late 70’s and booked a nationally known contemporary Christian music group to come to the little town of Reynolds for a concert. I thought it would be simple to sell tickets for this concert and get the money back we had committed to bring this group to town.

It turned out that the people in middle Georgia had no idea who this nationally known group was and selling tickets seemed to be impossible. In fact, the day of the concert we hadn’t sold enough tickets to pay the light bill.

We went ahead with the concert anyway. One of Joe Luce’s daughter’s came up to me that night while I was sweating bullets and whispered in my ear that her dad would take care of whatever we were short. It turned out that we had a large crowd and collected just enough funds to break even. But her words and her dad’s offer sure did help me to enjoy the moment.

There is no telling how many people this family has supported financially over the years for the cause of Christ.

One of Joe Luce’s pet projects was El Sembrador Vocational School for Boys in Honduras. Not only was he the main reason this place existed but there is no telling how many trips he made there or how often he arranged for supplies to be shipped there. My brother in law and I had the privilege to go there in the early 90’s to spend a week. My eyes were opened to the effort there and to the impact these missionaries were having on these Honduran boys. It was an incredible experience and one that I never forgot. Joe Luce was stamped all over it.

Joe Luce was involved in other world wide efforts through World Gospel Mission where he served on the Board of Directors. He also supported other Christian organizations including his local church and Indian Springs Holiness Camp Meeting. I have already mentioned about me attending Indian Springs every summer during my formative years.

People like George and Buddy and Joe Luce don’t come along very often in a lifetime. They have made an incredible impact on their world.

Buddy is the only brother left now. But the work these three brothers began will continue for generations to come.

Tomorrow afternoon (Wednesday) my friend, Rev. Jim Hamlin, will tenderly commit Joe Luce’s human earth suit to the ground. There will be a huge crowd of family and friends looking on.

But his spirit is already with God.

I can tell you if he didn’t make it, the rest of us are in a heap of trouble.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so right, if he didn't make it we might as well give it up. Joe Luce and the whole Luce family are the most kind and caring people I know. When I worked at Blue Bird many years ago they treated the employees like family. They knew each of by name and were never too busy to stop and asking about you and your family. He will be missed.