Sunday, December 24, 2006

Maybe There Will Be More


All my boys were at our house last night along with our two daughters in law and a girlfriend. We did Christmas a couple of days early at our house.

We went to see “We Are Marshall” this afternoon. I had a few motives for wanting to see this movie. It is another movie worth taking the time to go see.

I was a junior in high school when the entire Marshall University football team, coaches and some prominent boosters were killed in an airplane crash. That tragedy has never been erased from my mind and I was interested to see the story depicted on the big screen.

I also have visited Huntington West Virginia on many occasions while traveling with my company. West Virginia was part of my area of responsibility a few years ago. I have driven through the campus at Marshall and I have also seen the memorial in the cemetery.


There is something else very interesting about this movie to me. My daughter in law, Holly, is in it. I don’t think I have ever watched a movie at a theater while sitting next to one of the actresses appearing on the big screen.

But I did today.

Holly is actually not an actress by profession. She lives in Atlanta and read in the newspaper in early April that part of this movie was being filmed in the Atlanta area. They were having an open casting call asking people who are interested to come out and apply to be an extra in the movie. She thought it would be fun so she went to a hotel in Atlanta and filled out an application and had her picture made.


If you look at Holly’s picture here you can’t help but notice how she might have a good chance to be chosen for the part.

About two weeks after having her picture made, Holly got a call asking her if she was available on certain dates for the shooting of the film. She went three times for about 12 hours at a time for the filming. The first two times were for the Diner scene where she actually appears in the movie. For the shooting of the crash scene, she got there at 4PM one afternoon and left at 6:30AM the next day. She left that shoot to go to her regular job after being up all night.

When she went to the shoot they always did her hair and makeup and dressed her for winter time in the early 1970’s. You never see her in the crash scene although she and about 30 others were there and dressed for the part.

You do see Holly in the Diner scene during the first game of the season while the team is losing. She is sitting at the counter in the diner talking to a young girl. The young girl, Chelsea, happens to be Mark Snyder’s real life daughter. Mark is the current head football coach at Marshall University.

So Holly Goddard has officially begun her movie career. She put in a lot of effort for a really quick appearance on the big screen in this movie but she says it was worth the effort.

She will always be able to say that she appeared in a movie starring Matthew McConaughey. Maybe this will be her last movie. Maybe there will be many more.

If you would like an autographed photo of my gorgeous movie star daughter in law, just shoot me a line and you can get one for a nominal fee.

All proceeds will go to the Holly and David spring vacation fund which is a very worthy cause.

Who knows? An autographed picture of Holly Goddard may be worth a lot of money one day.

No comments: