Thursday, December 14, 2006

Most People Don't Make It in Nashville

I made it back home tonight in one piece with plans (with the exception of a speaking engagement or two) to pretty much stay put until after Christmas.

But barely.

While walking the streets of Nashville last night and trying to watch people and look at store fronts and club names at the same time, I stepped off a curb, tried to catch myself and then stepped off another curb. To make a long story short I busted my rear-end on Broadway.

The people with me tried not to laugh but they did anyway. I think I fell for 10 minutes before I finally hit the pavement. I found out that I’m way too old for falling.

I’ve fallen many times before. I’ve fallen for a joke. I’ve fallen for more than a few girls. I’ve fallen in love and out of love.

And now I’ve fallen in Nashville.

Before I fell and lost my senses though, I was noticing and commenting about all the people who come to Nashville for the purpose to make it big in country music. They are everywhere. They come as aspiring musicians and songwriters. Everybody wants to be a star.

Most people don’t make it.

There is talent everywhere but the intangible that causes someone to take it to the next level in music is a rare thing.


While I was in Nashville I happened to get an email from my old friend and fraternity brother Bruce Burch. He emailed a photo of himself taken with Wayne Newton recently in Columbus. Bruce, a native of Gainesville, Ga., was one of those rare people who made it in the music business in the Music City.

When I knew Bruce in college he was a rock and roll fan. But somewhere along the line he heard a Kris Kristofferson album and before you could say Conway Twitty he had written his first country song.

He got so fired up writing songs that he moved to Nashville as so many others do to try to make it as a songwriter. It was five years before he got his first cut. That record never got released but he stuck it out.


Bruce had two #1 songs with Reba McIntyre – “Rumor Has It” and “It’s Your Call.” He had cuts with Faith Hill, George Jones, Aaron Tippin, T.Graham Brown, Billy Joe Royal, Wayne Newton, The Oak Ridge Boys, John Anderson… and many others.

My old friend also does not hesitate to give back. Each year he sponsors a benefit in memory of his friend and Nashville songwriter John Jarred. I have attended that event a couple of times. Proceeds go to local charities in the Gainesville area.

Bruce is now at the University of Georgia as Administrative Director of the Music Business program which he helped establish at the Terry College of Business. This program is designed to develop business leaders for the music industry.

Bruce Burch went to Nashville about 35 years ago, and unlike most folks, he made it big. He left with his head held high and is now helping others who aspire to make it in the music business.

I went to Nashville this week.

I left with a sore back and a bruise on my booty.

No comments: