Saturday, December 02, 2006

A Norman Rockwell Painting Come to Life

The spirit of Christmas just came to Warner Robins Georgia in waves. And I sure am glad I was there to catch it.

Southside Baptist Church Celebration Ministries was in rare form tonight as they presented The Christmas Post to a packed house.

It was a Norman Rockwell painting come to life.

The Christmas Post is a Broadway style musical comedy. It is fast and fun and offers the true meaning of Christmas. I smiled and laughed out loud and tapped my toes. And in the end I had tears rolling down my cheeks.

The cast of 43 were all members of Southside Baptist. But you would think they were hired. They were backed by the 120 voice Celebration Choir and a 34 piece orchestra.

It was more than first class. I was reminded that there are advantages in attending a large church. Bryan Wurster, Worship Leader and Executive Director of this production, had to have a large pool of people to pull from to pull off something of this magnitude.

His first look was to his very talented wife, Teresa, who not only was Co-Drama Director but also starred in a leading role in the production. And then he looked to the young daughter of one of his choir superstars to play another leading role. Ally Driggers undoubtedly gets her singing ability from her mom. Maybe she gets her acting ability from her dad. I don’t know. But this very cute 11 year old girl demonstrated an incredible stage presence and raw talent that even shocked her mom and dad. I think a star was born.

And there were many others who had incredible performances. The thing that struck me was the cast was made up of normal folks who live normal lives who were completely out of their comfort zone doing extraordinary things.

I was reminded again that the only way any of us will ever do something extraordinary is to get out of our comfort zone. The way I see it, as long as we are in our comfort zone we will always waddle in mediocrity. A group of normal folks I go to church with Sunday after Sunday stepped out of their comfort zone tonight.

And the result was extraordinary.

But the greater result was a huge throng of people were confronted with the true message and spirit of Christmas. As our pastor correctly said tonight, if we are not careful in the next few weeks we will run right past it.

There will be a repeat performance tomorrow night (Sunday December 3) at 6PM at Southside Baptist Church in Warner Robins. If you are within driving distance it will be well worth the effort to be there. But I would get there early to get a seat.

You will see a Norman Rockwell painting come to life.

And you may just watch your 2006 Christmas season come to life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you whole heartedly! What God can do with people who want to be used by Him.