Tuesday, December 26, 2006

So Good. So Good.

The Godfather of Soul died yesterday in Atlanta. He was 73. Anybody who grew up in the era I did knows the Godfather of Soul.

I feel good. I knew that I would. So good. So good. I got you.

James Brown, Soul Brother Number One, was to rhythm and blues, soul music and funk what The Mick was to baseball. You couldn’t watch him perform or listen to him sing without having the urge to stand up and do the funky chicken.

James Brown made a lot of white boys look rather foolish trying to dance to his music.

Brown grew up in poverty in Augusta Georgia. He shined shoes for a living and one of the places he did his work was outside WGAC Radio Station in Augusta. The Swanee Quintet had an afternoon radio program there and they were always nice to him.

Their kindness paid off.



In later years, the Quintet was hired by James Brown to open his shows. They touched Europe and most of the United States performing before thousands of people in sold-out auditoriums. In 1993, Augusta Georgia honored the Quintet with their own Boulevard, “Swanee Quintet Boulevard.”

The Swanee Quintet has performed at such places as Carnegie Hall, Madison Square Garden, Harlem’s Apollo Theater and the House of Blues.

And the Reynolds National Guard Armory. In Reynolds Georgia no less.

I found out this information a while back on a trip to Elliott Funeral Home in Augusta. Percy Griffin, an employee at Elliott’s, is a long time member and lead singer with the Swanee Quintet and a friend of the Godfather of Soul.


Percy invited me to lunch when I was in town a few years ago and I took him up on his offer, jumped in his car with him and the two of us took off. The lunch was at his church, The United House of Prayer for All People, in Augusta. Percy told me about his friendship and long time relationship with James Brown and of some of his experiences as part of Brown’s opening act (see photo of Percy singing with James Brown).

He also surprised me with the information that his group played at the Armory in Reynolds several years ago. There can’t be many groups who have played at Carnegie Hall and the Reynolds Georgia Armory. But I assure you, Percy Griffin and the Swanee Quintet did. Percy told me all about it.

I haven’t talked to Percy since I heard the news that the great James Brown had passed away. But I will definitely give him a call. I’m sure Percy will be involved in the funeral service in some way so I will give him time to get past that.

I’m also sure Percy is in a real funk right about now.

I didn’t feel too good when I heard the news of Brown’s death myself. But one thing is for certain, his music always made me feel good.

So good. So good. Cause I got you.

No comments: