Monday, November 20, 2006

Houston's Best


(Houston, TX) I met Jim Toney a couple of years ago. I was at our corporate office in Houston and had to get to the airport. I hurriedly got in the backseat of a car and immediately noticed something different.

For starters the driver spoke English. I thought that was a little unusual. He also was wearing a tie. I started to look around and I noticed how clean the automobile was inside. There were current magazines on the holder on the seat in front of me. There was also a copy of that day’s paper.

My curiosity was in gear by now so I started asking him questions. It was obvious to me that Jim was not your usual cab driver.

When we got to the airport, Jim gave me his card that had his cell number and his email address. I also noticed he was carrying a Blackberry. He told me the next time I was coming to Houston to give him a call or shoot him an email and he would pick me up.

That was a couple of years ago. He has now picked me up dozens of times as he did last night when I arrived in Houston.

For the record, Jim has two bachelor degrees from the University of Houston. He has a degree in Mathematics and a separate degree in Environmental Science. This scientist turned chauffeur worked in the oil industry for years and also was in the semi-conductor industry.

I have asked him why he is doing this job since he is qualified to do much more. His answer is simple: “To keep a roof over my head and food on the table.”

He works seven days a week. Like most in the service business, he has built his business on building relationships with his clients. Most of his business is repeat business like mine. People call him when they are coming to town because he offers what most other drivers don’t, such as dependability, personal hygiene and the English language.

He also offers some very interesting conversation.

There is a moral to this story and I think about it every time I get in the car with Jim Toney.

Sometimes we just have to do what we have to do.

We have two options: We can complain and fuss and wonder why. Or we can make the most of whatever situation we find ourselves in.

Jim chose the latter.

I don’t know what kind of scientist he was in his former life. But he is the best chauffeur Houston has to offer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please send me his contact information. I would like to have a taxi driver that speaks english. Think he would move to DC?

RRU

Anonymous said...

I would like to meet that really wonderful PERSON when i visit Huston. If possible, let me know his contact point to my email address as belows , please. ^^

a2z1691@hotmail.com