Sunday, December 31, 2006

Life Moves On


Another year has come and gone. There are some things of which we have absolutely no control. One of those is the ticking of the clock.

Time moves on. Life moves on. We take whatever it gives us.

And we run with it.

As 2006 began we were planning for the February wedding of our oldest son. David and Holly were married on February 11th in Augusta, GA. It was an incredible weekend and the result was that we gained a new wonderful daughter in law. David and Holly got settled in their new home in Atlanta and both are blessed to be gainfully employed and working in great situations.

Also when the year began I took on a new position with my company. The increased responsibilities were overwhelming to say the least. After earning over 100,000 sky miles, logging around 40,000 miles in my car and no telling how many Hilton Honor and Priority Club points, I somehow managed it all and grew in the process.

As far as the speaking circuit, I didn’t speak nearly as many times I have in the past years because of my schedule at work but I probably spoke to more people.

And I am very aware and thankful for the unique opportunity I have to do what I am privileged to do.

A few months ago I recorded a new CD that will be released under a label called Senate Records. Although the producer was unable to release it when planned because of some unforeseen circumstances, it should be released in a matter of weeks. Be sure to look out for it.

Kathy and I got the news in June that we are going to be grandparents. In September we found out the new addition would be a little girl. For a couple who has raised a bunch of boys, the prospect of a brand new baby girl joining our family is almost too much excitement to bear. Not only are John and Tami going to be parents but John became the fifth generation Goddard to work in the funeral business. To see him flourishing in his role and enjoying what he is doing is not only making his daddy proud but I have a feeling there are some others with his last name smiling from heaven.

Luke has finished his second year in college and while going to school, he spent seven months this year working as what used to be called an “orderly” at the Medical Center of Central Georgia. He decided he definitely does not want to be a nurse for the rest of his life but he did get some great stories out of it. Luke has many creative genes and he and a couple of friends have made some videos this year that will make one laugh. Out loud.

Kathy has proven again that she is the most patient person in the world. Not only does she have to put up with me, but she also looks after her aging mom who lives with us. To have watched her serve her mother day after day this year has been nothing short of amazing.

In July I entered the world of blogging. I have now posted 160 articles on this site and written about whatever happened to be on my mind on a particular day. I hope I have entertained, motivated or inspired some of you. At the least I am creating some stuff for my kids and grandkids to read one day.

The last few days have been difficult for us. Dr. Whatley, who I have written about and have spoken of so many times all over the country, suffered a stroke on December 27. He has spent his days and nights this year looking after his beloved Rosemary, who is unable to take care of herself.

Their children have been in Reynolds the last five days taking care of their mother at home and their dad as he recuperates at a Macon hospital. And working on plans as to what they do next.

I have stopped by Dr. Whatley and Rosemary’s house numerous times this year. I stop by and visit for two reasons. One is because they are like my second parents and I have known and loved them both all my life. The second is because they are one of the few close connections to my own parents who are left.

There will always be tough spots and challenges along the way but I will continue to choose to look for the silver lining in whatever clouds that come our way. I have diligently attempted to keep before me the fact that growth only takes place when there is rain mixed with the sunshine.

It’s all a blessing.

The rain and the sunshine. The hard times and the good times.

Time moves on. Life moves on. We take whatever it gives us.

And we run with it.

Happy New Year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bruce, We've never met but I feel I know you well from reading your blog. I look forward everyday to looking for a new story from you. I just wanted to thank you for the good reading in 2006 and look forward to many more in 2007. I hope you and your family have a very Happy New Year and May God Bless each one of you.

Bruce Goddard said...

Thanks for your comments and thank you for reading. Wishing you and yours God's blessings for 2007. BG

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU FOR THE INSPIRATIONAL AND THOUGHT PROVOKING POSTS YOU HAVE HAD IN 2006. I HAVE THOROUGHLY ENJOYED EACH ONE, AS I REMEMBERED SO MANY OF THE PEOPLE YOU WRITE ABOUT. LOOKING FORWARD TO WHAT WILL COME IN 2007. MAY GOD CONTINUE TO USE YOU IN A POWERFUL WAY AS YOU HONOR HIM.

Rena said...

Bruce,
I am praying for Dr. Whatley and his family. Thank you for "real" communication. Your words often inspire, challenge, and educate me on subjects I wouldn't usually read about. This will be so important one day to Taylor and her generation, as it is to ours. Love you, brother.
Rena