Friday, August 25, 2006

The Greatest Among You

I remember when I was a kid visiting my grandmother in Fort Myers, Florida we always visited her friend, Marion Smith. I mentioned the Whatley’s from Reynolds during one of those visits and she told me she had never heard of them. I could not believe what she said and I remember my response.

“You mean to tell me you don’t know the Whatleys??”

Marion later always laughed about that conversation and the fact that I thought at the time everybody in the United States knew the Whatleys.

I guess everybody doesn’t know them. But I can tell you there are tens of thousands of people in 18 states that have heard of them now. I personally told them. I have mentioned them in every speech I have ever given.

I am sure as I go forward with these blogs, you will have the opportunity to read about most of them. So just get ready for that.

Ed Whatley was one of two doctors in the town of Reynolds. He and Rosemary and their four children lived right next door to us all of my growing up years. I cannot imagine a life without the Whatleys next door.

Dr. Whatley was a servant. There is no other way to describe him. He could have practiced medicine wherever he wished and made much more money, but he chose to serve the people of Reynolds, GA and Taylor County and the surrounding area.

He and Dr. Sams owned the local hospital. They saw patients all day long in their offices at the hospital and took care of the sick ones who were admitted there. They delivered babies (including this one) and were also general surgeons.

When they left the office everyday, they went on house calls. They both worked all hours of the night and they sacrificed every day for the sake of others. Seven days a week.

I remember many nights being sick when I was a child and Dr. Whatley would come by the house while making rounds to give me a shot. The people of our little town were spoiled rotten. You got sick - you would simply call Dr. Whatley or Dr. Sams and one of them would eventually get by to see you. It could be after midnight but he would get there.

Doctors just don’t do that anymore… anywhere. Can you imagine getting sick in the middle of the night and giving your doctor a call and asking him to come by your house to check on you and treat you?

Dr. Whatley retired several years ago. If anybody on earth deserved retirement, it was Dr. Whatley.

He and his wife still live in the same house next door to where I grew up. When I go to Reynolds or through Reynolds, I always stop by to visit. I’ve had some great visits and a lot of laughs in the last few years since his retirement visiting at their house.

But it’s not as fun as it used to be.

His beloved Rosemary is not doing too well these days. She has been in declining health for many months now. She is not getting better and it is not easy to watch.

But what is incredible to watch is the way her husband looks after her.

He is quietly preaching one of the most powerful sermons I have ever heard or witnessed. And believe me, he is not preaching with flowery words or catchy phrases.

His sermon is one of love, patience and deed.

And if I have to make a list of the greatest people I have ever known, you would find Ed Whatley right at the top of that list.

The greatest among you will be your servant.

That’s in Matthew by the way. Holy Bible. Chapter 23. Verse 11.

No comments: