Thursday, August 24, 2006

Tami and John

How 'bout another poem...written by a grateful dad on June 17, 2005. John and Tami were married the next day. In a few months they will be parents.

________________________________________________________________________________

Tami, I need to tell you a few things about John– not big things - just little stuff.
I know you probably already know it all – you’ve hung around him enough.
Since the day he was born he has always been wide open – full steam ahead.
We tried to figure him out – you wouldn’t believe how many books we read.

He squeezes life out of every moment and never worries one bit about the next day.
And there is no way you could ever prepare yourself for what he might say.
You won’t have to spend much on entertainment – he will provide it - and it will be free.
Just know he got it from his Mom – I’m much more reserved – Don’t you agree?

I remember when he was just a little kid he broke his leg – had a pretty hard fall.
We were worried to death about how much it would hurt to get it set and all.
The doctor was a little short man – He couldn’t have been a bit taller than 5 foot two.
John was watching him… and we worried about what John might say or do.

They put this big cast on his leg and gave him a set of little crutches made out of wood.
He figured out the crutches - then hobbled to the waiting room as fast as he could.
The waiting room was full of people – I just followed to see what he was about to do.
He yelled out to David, “Come look at this little doctor – he’s as little as you!”

I also remember the first time he batted in T-ball – what a grimace he had on his face.
He ripped the ball to left field – and then ran as fast as he could – to third base!
He couldn’t figure out what the big deal was – I can tell you it didn’t bother him one bit.
He just wanted everybody to hurry up so it would be his time again to hit.

And the day we drove up and saw all the blood – we almost fainted at the sight.
It was under the carport – on the doors and walls – I can’t explain the fright.
We thought Jessie had been murdered – and scalped – you wouldn’t believe all the hair.
John & Sid found a possum & brought it to the house and dissected it right there!

Or I could tell you about the time I got the call at the funeral home one cold Friday night.
I was told I needed to get to the football field real quick– John was in a big fight.
I wasted no time in getting there and realized that John had a real problem on his hands.
There were about 10 big hoodlums in a group trying to get John out of the stands.

It turned out one of the guys had pushed or hit John… or maybe it was what he said.
John turned around and hit the guy as hard as he could right upside the head.
John didn’t realize that this guy had a few buddies and now it was about to be a real fight.
I won’t tell you what I did – but I will tell you John was glad I came that night.

Or how about the time Kathy and I were away in Atlanta – I think it was my birthday.
I got a call at the hotel at midnight to call the Butler police station right away.
I held my breath and said a prayer and called the police while sitting there on the bed.
They told me John had run over a guy – and they thought the guy was dead!

They told me he was really drunk – oh my Lord - now I was standing beside the bed.
I was thinking about John spending his life in jail – I don’t know what I said.
It dawned on me that it wasn’t John that was drunk – a lot was running thru my head.
The guy who was drunk was the guy he had run over who they thought was dead.

Thank God the drunk wasn’t really dead – he did have a broken leg and broken arm too.
John ended up with a broken windshield and a car with an extra dent or two.
I’ll never forget what he told me when we got home – I was so glad the guy didn’t die.
John said he was riding along and he thought the guy just dropped out of the sky!

I also remember the night I got another call – I was sound asleep, wasn’t very fun.
This voice said, “I’m looking for my daughter. I think she is with your son.”
I said, “Which son?’ but in my heart I knew it was John – knew it just had to be.
I told him to let me look around the house and I was thinking “Oh me!”

I couldn’t find John or a girl – and I was thinking this could really be bad.
I told Kathy some girl’s dad is on the phone and he sounds like he’s really mad.
I asked him to let me do some checking and I would call him back really soon.
I didn’t know where to look but I was hoping they were not in his bedroom!

It turned out they were in Macon – actually Kathy knew where they were all along.
I called John and asked if he had a girl with him – if so she needed to get home.
I told him,” I don’t know who this girl is but her dad is ready to hang you out to dry.”
He told me she was bringing him to Reynolds – now Kathy was about to cry.

John, what time will this girl get home? This really ain’t a happy man.
He said he hadn’t thought of that …and I said - we need another plan.
So I drove to Byron to meet them so this poor girl wouldn’t be out all night.
I also did that to protect my son from getting killed by her daddy, allright?

I met them at a service station off the interstate – this was really about to get bad.
When I saw how pretty she was – I all of a sudden forgot why I was so mad.
My goodness she was gorgeous – I think about the prettiest girl I ever saw.
I was thinking at that instant – I sure would make her a great daddy in law!

We followed her home – I wanted to be sure this girl got there safe and sound.
I also noticed when we finally got home John’s feet were not touching the ground.
It wasn’t long before she came back to Reynolds – this gorgeous girl with jet black hair.
And it wasn’t long before we realized that Tami was an answer to our prayer.

From the day John was born we prayed for her – we just didn’t know her name.
And at just the perfect time and not a minute too late – into his life she came.
God does answer prayer and He is in control and He really is faithful and true.
This marriage is perfect proof of that – and it makes our faith stronger too.

So not only are we proud tonight that Tami is officially becoming part of our fold.
But we are also proud of this son of ours – the one with the huge heart of gold.
Tami you will never have a dull moment – John has more than just a little bit of wit.
And John you could not have done better – she’s just as good as it gets.

So here’s to John and Tami – now this is a marriage made in heaven for sure.
Through the good times and the hard times – may your love always endure.
And may you always be thankful for God’s grace and this special love you found.
And may you give us a bunch of grandkids – we need some little Goddards around.

No comments: