Wednesday, August 23, 2006

From A Dad's Heart

I don’t know how I became the family poet. I have written poems for birthday parties, wedding anniversaries - and no telling how many wedding rehearsals. Some of them I kept – some I filed in the garbage.

Sometimes I have to stretch to make my point and make it rhyme. You may have to read fast at some places and slow down in others but who really cares.

I wrote the poem below for David and Holly’s wedding rehearsal dinner. I also kept the one from John and Tami’s rehearsal. I’m sure it will be posted here in the near future. Why not? This is my blog. :-)

_________________________________________________________________________

From a Dad’s Heart

David, I will never forget that night. It was 1:15 AM Dec 6, 1979.
We had brought a son into the world and we were on cloud nine.
We didn’t think you’d ever get here. You mom was in labor at least a week.
I had major surgery only a few weeks earlier and my Lord was I weak.


We did Lamaze and we did the breathing thing until I thought I would pass out.
We also used paint rollers and tennis balls – wasn’t sure what that was about.
I learned a lot about birthing babies and stuff – learned more than I care to say.
But I learned some important lessons about life that I still remember to this day.

When I first looked I saw a little bit of your mom and a little bit of me.
But I have to tell you - when you have tears in your eyes it’s really hard to see.
I had tears because I saw a miracle…there are no words to explain what I saw that day.
I knew there really was a God in heaven – no man could explain that away.

Our lives changed when we brought you home. Everything now revolved around you.
Before you everything revolved around me – I needed to learn a lesson there too.
You see, you taught me some very important lessons although you didn’t have a clue.
I learned the greatest pleasure I could ever have would be in taking care of you.

I watched you begin to crawl and when you took your first step I was there that day.
It was so neat to watch you grow and begin to run and jump and laugh and play.

In life it is easy for one to try to put the cart before the horse – trying so fast just to be.
Before one can run with the horses, he first must learn to crawl and walk you see.

I was there when your little brothers were born – sometimes you could be pretty mean.
John always enjoyed playing in the mud and you always liked to stay clean.
There is a lesson there as well and I learned it seeing all the differences in you two.
You don’t have to work to be anybody else – all you have to be is you.

I watched you play T-ball and baseball – I really don’t think I ever missed a game.
I was there when you won and when you lost – I shared your joy and your pain.
Okay I will go ahead and tell you. I never thought you would ever play pro ball.
But I knew you needed to know how it feels to be up and how it hurts to fall.

Your mom had to take you to college. I can tell you I will never forget that day.
I had to go to the airport. And now I can tell you that I cried all the way.
I am reminded of an important lesson there too. Sometimes lessons can be hard you see.
Birds always have to leave their nest and that is the way it is supposed to be.

Your college days were a blur… like we all do; you made some mistakes along the way.
But you made it through it and graduated – you did it! What else can I say?
There is a lesson in wrong turns but only in the tough places can the lesson be found.
It’s not the times we take the wrong road that counts – but when we turn around.

And my goodness the girls you brought home – they were always so gorgeous – oh my!
I noticed you wouldn’t date one long - they were always emailing me goodbye.
I asked you what in the world you were looking for – was hoping you would see the light.
I remember you said, “Forever is a long time - I just haven’t found Miss Right.”

I remember when you came home from Ben’s wedding – my antenna went up that day.
You said you thought you were in love – I couldn’t believe what I heard you say.
I got up out of my chair and walked over to you – I remember we were in the den.
You said her name is Holly Blount – but the problem is she has a boyfriend.

You told me about Holly that night – one of those father-son talks that are really rare.
You told me about her heart for God and her gorgeous blue eyes and blonde hair.
You told me you blew it with her many years ago and it was the mistake of your life.
You said you thought you loved her and you could really see her as your wife.

That got my attention and you got the best advice you had every received from your dad.
I said, “Pick up the phone and call her and tell her exactly what you just said.”
You hemmed and hawed – “She has a boyfriend. I blew it and now it is just too late.”
I said, “She ain’t married and she ain’t engaged. Call her now and don’t wait!”

Well, you didn’t call her that night but you did email her and it all worked out just fine.
And I am thankful that her boyfriend never even tried to whoop your behind.
We both learned an important lesson in all that – and this lesson is really a gem.
True love is worth fighting for and taking a chance and walking out on a limb.

But there is a greater lesson - and this lesson we all really need to understand and see.
And that is that God has a plan – and being in it is always the best place to be.
Before the world was even created I believe God knew we would all be here tonight.
It’s a miracle I cannot explain just as I can’t explain you being born that night.

I can explain that you make one gorgeous couple – and anybody can see that too.
When you are together people can see that Ken and Barbie have nothing on you.
But you will grow old one day and your looks will no longer be what you worry about.
In the meantime I bet y’all will make us some gorgeous grandbabies - no doubt!

So Holly I welcome you into the Goddard clan. You don’t know what’s in store for you.
I do want you to know that we will love you and we will also take care of you too.
My prayer is that you will quickly discover that David is the best husband you ever saw,
You really are getting a good guy but you are getting one heck of a daddy in law.

So here’s to David and Holly: the gorgeous couple who was created in my den.
May you have fun loving each other and may you never look back again.
May you learn to live life to the fullest and laugh every chance you get along the way.
May you hold each other in the tough times – and thank God for it all every day.

May you realize that marriage is not some prize that you had hoped to achieve one day.
But the prize will always be in the journey you create along the way.
Always remember there will be rain along this journey – if not we would never grow.
But also don’t forget the sun will always shine again and that you need to know.

Here’s to long life, happiness, good health and risk taking love.

I love you both more than you will ever know.



RBG Feb 10, 2006

No comments: