Wednesday, August 30, 2006

She Never Charged a Dime

I wrote the following eulogy for Rachel Wainwright when she died over a year ago. I was out of town and did not get to attend her funeral. The family asked me to do this and because of the power of the internet I was able to get it there in time to be read at the funeral service.

Another special lady who needs to be remembered.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I called her “Miss” Rachel. She was my friend and I know she loved me. And I loved her. If she told me one time – she told me a hundred times: “I want you to speak at my funeral when I die.” I never said I would because I always told her she could speak at my funeral because she was going to out-live me. She would always look at me with that “look” with her hands on her hips as if she was about to slap me – and then she would flash that great big smile.

I cannot be with you today but I did get to visit with Davilyn and Denease Sunday afternoon and I got to see “Miss” Rachel only a couple of weeks ago. She came to my book signing and I got to give her a great big hug. I had no idea that would be the last time I would see her. There is a lesson in that, isn’t it?

I was glad to know that she got to read my book. I know she laughed… and knowing her… she probably shed a few tears as well.

I don’t remember the first time I met “Miss” Rachel. I suppose I’ve known her all my life. I do remember she made my “grooms” cake when I got married 28 years ago. I remember her being a loyal customer at our grocery store and I remember my visits with her at the doctor’s office when she worked there. I also remember she was almost always in the audience when I was invited to speak at different churches in the county.

But where I really got to know “Miss” Rachel was in the most unusual place of all…the embalming room at the funeral home. And there would usually be only three of us in the room: “Miss” Rachael, me and the lady lying on the table whose hair she was fixin’. Miss Rachael and I did all the talking. (thank goodness). If the person lying on the table had talked, the “hair fixin’ would have ended really quick!

There is no telling how many hairdos she fixed in that back room at the funeral home preparing someone for burial. She knew most of those people. Some she did not know. There is no doubt she holds the record at Goddard Funeral Home, at least for the last 30 years. She always would come whenever I called. Sometimes she would say, “I’ve to get this cake out of the oven first”… but she always came – no matter what time of the day or night or what day of the week.

I would always be sure her water bottle and curlers were in the right place because if they weren’t, she would be quick to let me know.

And she never charged one dime. I tried to pay her. She always refused. I can still hear her saying, “This is the last thing I can do for them.”

Sometimes I would say, “Miss Rachel, you don’t even know this lady!”

She would always respond, “Don’t matter. I’m not taking your money.”


I finally gave up.

To be honest, I don’t remember much about the hair she was fixin’. But I do remember many of the conversations we had, and to be honest, I lived through many of her trials with her. I remember when her mom died and I had the privilege of walking through that with her. She trusted me and she would share her innermost thoughts and heart with me. I remember her concerns about personal family conflicts. I remember the load she carried taking care of Simp, especially after he got ill. I also remember her concern about the spiritual welfare of some of her family and friends. I remember a lot of tears and I remember a lot of laughter.

She was always focusing on the needs of others and she took joy in that. She had a servant’s heart and considered the needs of others more important than her own.

In my view, there are two types of people in the world. There are the givers and there are the takers. Rachel Wainwright was a giver. No doubt about that.

You have been given a rich inheritance. She loved you. You already know that, but she told me that many times. At this point, you don’t even realize how much she really taught you. But I have to tell you that her “teachings” have just begun. As time goes on, you will realize more and more the lessons she taught. As you stand at the crossroads of life, you will be confronted many times with the truths she lived before you. And you will have to make a choice:

Will you walk through the large gate and go down the wide road that most people choose? Or will you enter through the small gate and go down the narrow road that leads to life? That choice is yours. Miss Rachel cannot make it for you.

Make no mistake about it though…. Rachel Wainwright chose the small gate and the narrow road. And make no mistake about this: If you choose the wide road, it will not be Rachel Wainwright’s fault. She spent her life showing you the right path to take.

Sunday afternoon I walked in the back door of the funeral home when David was just about to place her body in the casket. I suddenly found myself in that very familiar room with this very familiar lady. I asked David to let me help. So I had the privilege to help David place her body into the casket. I think Miss Rachel would have liked that. In a few minutes you will drive out to Turner’s Chapel and you will have the duty of placing her body into its final resting place. She will be smiling because the people she loves the most will be there when that happens.

But make no mistake about this: Her spirit is with God. And she is at rest. And she was ready for this day.

And all is well in heaven and on earth.

No comments: