Saturday, September 09, 2006

Dearest Taylor

It is official. John and Tami are having a little girl. We are going to be grandparents for a beautiful little girl. In early February things will start to pick up at their house.

And we could not be happier.

It seems like only yesterday we were having babies of our own. And our babies were all boys. We won’t know what to do with a little girl. But we will figure it out.

Taylor Reese Goddard is scheduled to arrive on the scene on February 5th, 2007. And she will be treated like royalty.

I bet one day many years from now she will read this. So I’ll just go ahead and write my first letter to my granddaughter.

-----------------

Dearest Taylor,

Your grandmother and I took your mom and dad out to eat last night to celebrate. We were celebrating because we found out officially that you are a little girl.

Your mom and dad have already named you even though you are still in your mom’s tummy.

By the way, I would really love it if you would call me Papa. That is what your dad called his grandfather. Your dad’s grandfather would really like that. Let’s do that to honor Papa Ed, okay?

I can’t wait to see you and hold you. I’ve never had a little girl before so you will have to tell me things you like to do. And we will do them together. I promise we will.

I can already picture you sitting in my lap listening to your Papa read you a story before you go to bed. Just know that some of it I will read out of the book and some I will make up along the way. That’s just the way your Papa is. But I will make you laugh. And I will give you lots of kisses when I tuck you in.

Even as God is forming you in your Mom’s tummy, He already knows everything about you. He knows the minute you will be born. He knows where you will go to school and He even knows who you will marry one day. He has your future in His hands already.

You won’t have to worry about any of that for a long time but it sure is a comforting thought for your Papa.

And always remember that God chose your mom and dad out of all the possible moms and dads. You have the best parents in the whole world. And they will be perfect for you. You will understand that one day.

You are going to have so much fun being a Goddard.

And I’m going to have so much fun being a Papa.

Let us know when you get ready to meet us. I'll be the tall man with the gray hair with the big grin on his face. You'll recognize me.

I can't wait!


With all my love,

-Papa

No comments: