Monday, October 02, 2006

Sunday Nights

My wife and I are meeting with our pastor and his wife on Sunday nights with about 10 young freshly married couples. Last night the group met at our house.

To say we are having a blast would be an understatement.

The leadership of our rapidly growing church decided to stop meeting together on Sunday nights and instead to meet in small groups at homes throughout the community. I personally think it was a great decision.

Kathy and I were asked to help lead this group of young couples. It seems like just a sneeze and a blink ago we were their age. Actually when they were here last night I felt like I was their age. Then after they all left I looked in the mirror and was abruptly reminded I’m older. Much older.

Everybody brings previously prescribed food and we all eat together. Last night was Italian night. The week before was Mexican food. Next week we are cooking a big pot of chili and will grill hot dogs.

We are working through a study called, “Discovering Contentment in Stressful Times.”

We had already discussed the stress of anxious anticipation and the stress of making mistakes. Last night we discussed the stress of relationships.

In weeks to come will be the stress of loss, the stress of labor, the stress of excess demands, the stress of crisis, the stress of anger, the stress of negative evaluation, the stress of change, the stress of unfulfilled expectations, the stress of decision making and the stress of monotony.

I know a little about stress. To be sure, I have personally experienced stress in each of the topics listed above. I think one would say I know a lot about stress.

The discussion is great and we all are either learning or being reminded of some very important life principles.

Life really can be tough and we all need to be reminded of some truths to get us through the tough spots.

We also all have groups of friends that we enjoy. We laugh and eat and talk and enjoy each other’s company.

But in this small group environment we do all the above but we also have a time of serious discussion. And it is a very healthy thing.

The neatest thing that comes out of this is the enduring relationships that are built. A few couples stayed an extra hour last night after everybody had gone home. Kathy and I laughed and listened.

For a few hours on Sunday nights we think we are 25 again.

And we love every minute of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bruce,
You make me so proud to be from the same hometown!! I love reading all that you write!! Keep up the "blogging" and I'll check in from time to time to see what's up with you, Kathy, and the kids.
Dixie