Sunday, November 26, 2006

A Hug is Worth a Thousand Words

I first met Ed Grisamore about 10 years ago as I was getting in my car after I had spoken at a civic club in Macon. I had actually already met him in print because I was already reading his column in the Macon Telegraph on a regular basis. He told me he would like to come to Reynolds and interview me for a column.

I was flattered but kinda nervous at the same time. Not nervous because he wanted to do an interview but I was nervous because I didn’t know the slant he would put on my humorous slant of the funeral business. The last thing I wanted was for someone to take my humor the wrong way and I knew that could happen if I was not in control of what would be written.

He came over and we sat on the front porch of the funeral home in Reynolds. He asked me questions and I answered them. And I probably answered some questions he didn’t ask. We realized we had a lot in common and really hit it off.

A special friendship had begun.

The article came out in the next day or two and his slant was perfect. Because of his article, the demand for my speaking services increased at an almost alarming rate. No doubt about it, Ed Grisamore put me on the map with that article.


I was always completely fascinated by Ed’s writing ability. He paints an amazing picture with words and his columns are always positive and motivating and heart warming. He has brightened the day for many folks in Middle Georgia for many years. I am one of them.

He encouraged me over and over to put my own stories in writing. For those of you who have read my book, you know that Ed wrote the Foreword.

Ed and I have continued our friendship since the first time we met. We make it a point to meet for lunch every now and then to catch up and enjoy each other’s company.

In many ways we have become like brothers.

If you read Ed’s columns or have read his books, you know about the close relationship he had with his dad. I met Ed’s dad and mom at the book signing when Ed’s first book was released. I feel like I knew Ed’s dad well because I have read the words Ed has written about him. I have also heard Ed speak so affectionately of him many times.

Ed’s dad, Jennings M. Grisamore, MD died a few weeks ago. His memorial service was held today.

I was there.

I had several impressions as I sat in the congregation. My first impression was that Ed Grisamore’s dad was an amazing human being. Secondly, as I listened to what this man accomplished in life, I realized that Ed has been very humble in talking about his dad. And my third impression was that this man produced an incredible family.

As I sat and listened I had to fight back tears.

I fought tears because I was getting a glimpse of the impact one man can have on people in his care. I fought tears because the service brought back memories of my own dad who impacted me so greatly. And I fought back tears because I never want to lose sight of the important things in life. You can’t attend a service like that without doing some inner soul searching.

After the service I worked my way through the crowd of people at the reception and found Ed. There was really nothing to say. I hugged him and he hugged me back and we shed tears.

I left that reception with another impression.

A hug is worth a thousand words.

A real friend is worth more.

(Additional note: 11/29/06) I had the most hits by far I've ever had yesterday as a result of this article. The reason is not my writing but Ed mentioned this in his blog yesterday. Ed has TONS of readers. Check out his blogsite below. RBG

http://grisamore.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have such wonderful memories of your dad, too. He was always so funny! I'll never forget the day he rode out to Daddy's and took a seat at the dining room table to check his blood pressure (still don't understand why Mama always kept the blood pressure gadget on the dining room table, but she did and Daddy kept it right there after she died!!). He put on the cuff and started pumping. After a few minutes, he announced, "According to this thing, I must be dead!" We all roared with laughter. What a wonderful man, your father was and you remind me so much of him. You
have definitely made a postive impact on many lives. Keep up the blogging!! Dixie

Anonymous said...

The stories are so interesting. Some make me laugh and some make me sad, but in the end it is interesting to see another's perspective on life.