Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Crazy for Loving You

(Nashville) I’ve been traveling in Western Tennessee the last couple of days with a couple of business colleagues. We are staying in the Music City. I have been to Nashville only a couple of times in my life but I have been reminded that this really is the Music City.

We ate downtown tonight and it was neat seeing all the famous places I have heard about most of my life. One of those places we saw was the Ryman Auditorium, which was the home of the Grand Ole Opry for so many years. The country music stars who played at that auditorium are too numerous to even begin to count.

One of those stars was Patsy Cline who was killed in an airplane crash in 1963.

Her last concert was held in Kansas City on March 3, 1963. Just before she went to that concert, a conversation took place at the Ryman Auditorium between Patsy and Ray Walker, who was a member of the Jordanaires. As Patsy was leaving that night Ray said: “Patsy, honey, be careful, baby, we sure love you….” She was starting to go down the stairs at the back entrance of the Ryman, and she turned her head over her shoulder and said: “Honey, I’ve been in two bad ones… The third one will either be a charm or it’ll kill me.” Those were the last words she said at the Ryman Auditorium.


Earlier today while visiting Camden TN we came upon the site where country music legend Patsy Cline’s plane crashed. I insisted that we pull over to check it out. I could not believe how many people visit that site. Patsy’s fans have left notes and letters and caps and everything else you can imagine. We saw one note from a guy who had written to Patsy telling her how much he missed her and even left his telephone number.

I don’t think he will get a call from her.


The plane carrying Patsy and her manager and a couple of other country music stars crashed on the outskirts of Camden on their return trip back to Nashville from Kansas City.

After we stopped for a short visit to that site today, we visited a funeral home in Camden which was our destination in the first place. I met the former owner there, Gordon Wheatley, who I quickly found out went to the scene that night with his business partner and transported all four of the bodies back to their funeral home.


So not only do you get to visit the airplane crash site of Patsy Cline but you get introduced to the undertaker who removed her from the wreckage.

This blog gives you information you never thought you would know. Only at the View from a Hearse blogsite could you ever possibly get such information and be introduced to such famous Americans.

You just won't find this kind of stuff in regular newspapers and magazines.

I hope you have subscribed to this blog by now. This informative material will then come directly to your email address every time a new article comes out.

As you wait for the next article to be posted, be sure to check out some of that great Patsy Cline music and those famous lyrics:

You walk by and I fall to pieces. I fall to pieces each time someone speaks your name. I fall to pieces. Time only adds to the flame.

And I'm crazy for trying and crazy for crying.

And I'm crazy for loving you.

No comments: