Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A Party to Remember

At the same time over a million people had gathered in Times Square in New York City Sunday night with Dick Clark and Ryan Seacrest for the Rockin’ New Years Eve Party, there was another group gathered for a Rockin’ New Years Eve Party of their own in Reynolds, GA.

I’m sure those who were at Times Square had a blast but I would imagine most won’t remember many of the details.

The girls who celebrated in Reynolds will remember their party for the rest of their lives and one day will talk about the fun they had with their children and grandchildren.


For the past seven years, Katie Lindley (age 15) and her sister Madison (age 12) have traveled the 120 or so miles from their house to their grandparents house to celebrate the New Year. They have been joined each of those years by their cousins, Lauren and Kelsey.

Sue and Julian Whatley are the grandparents of Katie and Madison. Lauren and Kelsey are the grandchildren of Sue’s sister.

The girls are given a blank check each year to go to the grocery store to buy all the goodies and whatever else they want to cook to eat. The girls do all the cooking and planning and decorating.

And then they all party together and bring in the New Year together.

I stopped by the Whatley’s house yesterday just as they were about to take the girls to meet their mom and dad. They were telling me that Sunday night was the last New Years Eve party because the girls are getting older and will have other things to do to bring in the New Year.

It struck me that these girls have created memories during the last seven years that will be worth much more than they can even imagine in years to come. And in the meantime they have made some happy times for their grandparents.

Tonight I have been doing some scanning so I can have an electronic file of some valuable pictures. Every now and then I will see a photo of my parents or grandparents. I stop and look carefully at each one. The pictures are worth much to me.

But I have many more memories than I have pictures. And the memories I have of my parents and grandparents are absolutely priceless.

They may have had more folks and more music and more balloons at Times Square Sunday night. People will be finished talking about that party before the week is out.

But the party in Reynolds was one that will be remembered and talked about for generations to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bruce, I was so happy to read your blog about my precious Susie and Papa,and my little angels Katie and Maddy; and also to know that you continue to check in on them while Bob and I are in London. As always, I thought of your family on Christmas day (especially Naia and Ed), and remembered all the special times we spent together in years past. I have so many fond memories. Debbie

Bruce Goddard said...

Hey Deb. We do have some great memories don't we... I love visiting your mom and dad. As long as I have breath and gas in my car, or they run me off - I will continue to visit them. You can count on that. Happy New Year to you and Bob! BG