Thursday, January 04, 2007

Uncle Bubba's


(Savannah, GA) I think we saw more movies during the holidays than we saw all the rest of the year combined. I gave you my review of most of those we saw. The real movie critics are much tougher on reviewing movies than I am.

If the movie makes me think or laugh or cry, I figure it is a good one. If it does all three, then it is really a good one. Simple stuff.

I’m not sure how you review restaurants. I notice on the local news that restaurants are judged on the scores they get when they get inspected. If you see a 68 written in bold letters on the framed certificate on the wall, you kinda wonder if you should be eating there. You begin to wonder if an inspector saw a cook dip their hair in the soup in the kitchen. That’s the kind of restaurant where you take the top part of the hamburger bun off the meat before you bite into it to be sure there is not a foreign object there.

But the problem is I have eaten at some restaurants where the score is 100 but the food is terrible. And I have eaten at restaurants where the score was 68 and the food was wonderful. Go figure.

So when I judge a restaurant, I judge it by how the food tastes. And if it is good and I don’t get sick during the night, I will go back to eat.

Last night was my second trip to Uncle Bubba’s Oyster House in Savannah. That means the food was good the first time I ate there. Uncle Bubba is Paula Dean’s (from the Food Network) little brother. Paula’s show on the Food Network is filmed here. Their advertisement says you never know who is going to walk in the restaurant to eat. The popularity of Paula’s show and the great seafood attracts a ton of people there to eat. Some are famous, some are local folks and some have traveled from great distances.


You never know who you might see in this restaurant.

As luck would have it, just as we were finishing our meal last night, in walked some famous people.

At least they are famous to me. Three gallivanting females from my native Taylor County Georgia walked in the door.

I just happened to have my camera with me (imagine that) and got Heather and Bridgett and Brenda to pose for a picture at Uncle Bubba’s.

For you folks back home who read this blog, I want to report to you they were representing your county very well and behaving very nicely.

Uncle Bubba is right. You never know who you will meet at his restaurant. So you better be on your best behavior when you go there.

If I was an inspector, Uncle Bubba’s Oyster House would score a 100. The food was great and I feel fine the next morning. And I saw no foreign objects on my food.

What more can you ask?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you had walked in a couple of years ago you might have seen your mother-in-law eating there!