Saturday, February 03, 2007

I Could Not Be Anywhere Else


After a grueling week on the road driving in blinding rain from one end of Alabama to the other, I made it back home late Thursday night. Then after spending the day in the office on Friday I could hear someone calling my name on the way home.

My little brand new granddaughter Taylor was calling for her Papa.

I made a beeline to her house. My goodness she is beautiful. And it is incredible being a Papa. Funny thing, after being there only a few minutes, my wife walked in too. I had a feeling she would know where to find me.

Life is amazing. New people are born everyday. And there is unspeakable joy and excitement as that takes place.

And other people die. And there is hurt and emptiness and loneliness that takes place.

Today at 10AM the first of two memorial services will be held for my friend Mike (Hippo) Crawley at the Medical Center in Macon. It is being held for his co-workers and associates at the Medical Center. You can read his obituary and his guestbook by CLICKING HERE.

Tomorrow (Sunday) at 3PM another memorial service will be held at the Methodist Church in Reynolds. Hippo lived across the street from that church and grew up in Sunday school and attending church there. He has roots that run deep in the red clay of Reynolds and Taylor County. He not only grew up and attended school there, but began his career there as a volunteer with the local ambulance service.

I have a strong feeling there will be large crowds at both services as his life is celebrated. I will be a part of both crowds.

I could not be anywhere else.

No comments: