Sunday, February 11, 2007

Let Me Call You Sweetheart


I’ve been on a Valentine Banquet tour this weekend speaking at a couple of the love banquets. There is no telling how many of these I have spoken at in the last ten years or so. (Photo provided by Jimmy Poole, Star Video -Americus).

Tonight the crowd of about 200 at the First Baptist Church of Americus, GA sang “Let Me Call You Sweetheart.” The instructions were for each lover to sing it to their significant other.

I couldn’t help but notice it was easy for some to do that but kinda difficult for others. And then there were others whose significant other is no longer around. I couldn’t help but notice the longing in their eyes wishing their sweetheart was still around.

Let me call you "Sweetheart," I'm in love with you.
Let me hear you whisper that you love me too.
Keep the love-light glowing in your eyes so true.
Let me call you "Sweetheart," I'm in love with you.

Just for the record guys, Valentine’s Day is on February 14. That would be this Wednesday. It is the traditional day on which lovers express their love for each other. People send Valentine’s Cards, candy and even donate anonymously to charities. It may also be a good idea for you guys out there to get off your billfold and send some flowers. I’m giving you a few days notice.


I read that approximately one billion Valentines are sent each year worldwide, making the day the second largest card-sending holiday of the year behind Christmas. Some call it the “Hallmark Holiday.” I also read that women purchase approximately 85 percent of all valentines.

My wife will definitely get some flowers from me on Wednesday. I won’t be here to give them to her but she will get them.

And I have never been one that waits until Valentine’s Day to tell her I love her. In fact I tell her all the time. Just want to make sure she doesn’t forget.

The truth is I tell a lot of folks I love them... because I do. One definition of love is “a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection.” I have a feeling of warm personal attachment to a lot of folks.

I know I can’t send a Valentine’s Card on Wednesday to all the people I love. But if I could I would.

When you view life from my perspective you just can’t say it enough.

So Happy Valentine’s Day (a couple of days in advance) to all the people I love.

You know who you are.

No comments: