Tuesday, February 20, 2007

This Mayor Don't Play


(Jackson, MS) I had dinner tonight with two of my co-workers here and as I usual, I got educated. I found out that Mayor Frank Melton is the mayor of this city. I also found out he is quite a character. And he is stirring up folks right and left.

The fact that I get to read about the Mayor of Macon, GA (C. Jack Ellis or Mohammed Ali Ellis or whatever he calls himself) on an almost daily basis, this mayor got my attention.

Mayor Melton was inaugurated as the Mayor of this city, which calls itself the City of Soul, on July 4, 2005. He was elected on his campaign slogan, “Help is on the way.” He promised to rid Jackson of black on black drug related crime. At his inaugural address, he promised to run all the thugs out of the city.

Before he was elected, this apparently very wealthy businessman, paid for a huge billboard of a picture of a man the police would not arrest. The billboard simply said, “This Man Sells Drugs.”

Melton got a call from an attorney representing this alleged drug dealer who told him he better take the sign down or he would get sued. Melton responded to the attorney, if you sue me I will run a billboard of YOU saying “This lawyer defends drug dealers who are destroying your children.”

He never heard from that particular lawyer again.

Since he has been in office, Melton has personally led drug raids. On one occasion he personally (with a couple of his bodyguards) destroyed a crack house with a sledge hammer. He cut his hand in the process and had to go to the emergency room to get stitches in his hand. But he came back to finish the job the same night.

As you might imagine there are some city residents that are not happy with their Mayor. The NAACP and the ACLU have taken offense to Melton’s antics, calling his drug fighting actions illegal and unconstitutional.

The Mayor has also attacked the Hinds County DA because she would not put his star witness on the stand to testify against an alleged drug dealer. He even publicly accused the DA, the first black female in that position in the city, of having an affair with a murdered bail bondsman.

This Mayor don’t play.

He has been indicted for destroying the property of the thug drug dealer because he was not a police officer and did not have a warrant. He will face those charges in a couple of months.

The mayor of Jackson is a real live Buford Pusser.

Melton told a group of conservative wives during his campaign that he was not a Democrat but had to run as one in order to be elected in this largely black and Democratic city.

If they don’t want him here, I bet there are plenty of folks in Macon, Georgia that will be more than happy to swap their Mayor for him.

I can see the headlines.

Mayor C. Jack Mohammed Ali Ellis of Macon, GA and a player to be named later (Ron Wildman) for Frank Melton of Jackson MS.

I think that would work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES!

Anonymous said...

This man is a clown.I'm a lifelong resident of Jackson,Ms.
It's gone to hell.
An arrest warrant was issued for the mayor today.
He is actually a Texas resident.His wife and children reside in that state,where he also files his homestead taxes.
He lives in jackson with various minor male children of whom it has been alleged he molests.

Anonymous said...

First, of all let me say this it is to much going on in the city of Jackson for all that drama with the Mayor I think they should let him do his job because crime is so bad I hate to even stop at the light. I was at first against him and his tactics but now I wish they would free him and put him back on the streets to get rid of all these thugs that have taken over every week someone, something or some place is getting robbed. I hate Jackson, Ms because of the intense crime. It is very embarassing and critical to see our Mayor in jail while Popeyes and every other resturant in Jackson is getting robbed