Monday, March 19, 2007

Nice Usually Works


When you stand in long lines like I find myself doing a lot these days, you figure out ways to pass the time. I usually do that by striking up a conversation with whoever happens to be in line with me. I’ve met some interesting folks along the way doing that. I have noticed that everybody has a story. And most people will tell you their story if you ask a few questions and seem interested. And everybody is going somewhere. That is true 100 percent of the time when you are standing in a line to get through security at an airport.

Today I spent about 15 minutes standing in line with a guy by the name of Bruce Plummer. I started the conversation because I noticed the Atlanta Falcon logo on his bag tag on his briefcase he was carrying on his shoulder.

Turns out Bruce played high school football in Bogolusa Louisiana and went on to be an All SEC Defensive Back for Mississippi State in the mid 1980’s. I found out he was drafted by the Denver Broncos in the ninth round of the 1987 NFL draft. He laughingly told me they have only seven rounds now. He spent five years in the NFL and even played in Super Bowl XXII with the Broncos.

I also found out he is a college scout with the Atlanta Falcons and has been doing that for the past seven years. He was heading to Syracuse to check out some college guys looking for work in the NFL. And I found out that Bobby Petrino, the new Falcons head coach, calls his own plays but will allow Michael Vick to call his own audibles, which he wasn’t able to do before. Falcon football should be very interesting this year.

I ended up next to Bruce while we were putting our laptops back in our briefcases after going through security. While I had my case opened, I gave him a copy of my book, “View from a Hearse.” Some people give their business cards to new acquaintances. I give them a book. I think the book will help him remember me better than a card. He will forget a fifteen minute conversation and probably throw away a business card, but a book he may check out.

Who knows? Bruce Plummer may Google himself one day soon and read this blog. And he may even find it in his heart to send me a couple of great tickets to a Falcons game. (Bruce, you can send me an email to get my address by clicking on “View My Complete Profile” on this page and then clicking on “Email”).

Smile.

By the way, I usually ask waitresses a few questions too when I eat in a restaurant. And I tip well. I’ve even asked a few waitresses to say grace before. They also have a story and if you seem interested they don’t mind telling you about it. Not only do I get to hear someone’s story but there is another benefit to getting to know my waitress. There have been a few times when I was seated when I walked in the door of a restaurant when everybody else had to wait an hour until they called their name.

There are some interesting folks out here. The way I see it I have two options. I can treat everybody I meet as a stranger or I can go out of my way to be nice.

Nice usually works.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe that there are no strangers, just people I haven't met yet.