Saturday, March 17, 2007

Two Amazing Streaks

We are heading home for a couple of reunions today where we will be celebrating a couple of amazing streaks with some amazing folks.




The first will take place in Reynolds at noon. Jessie Mae King, who I wrote about in my book, have written about here at this blogsite and have spoken about to groups all over the country, is celebrating her 100th birthday today. Her chlldren and grandchildren planned this event and have traveled from as far as California to be there.

My siblings and spouses will also converge on Reynolds for this event today. Jessie began working for our parents twelve years before I was born. After I got married and began having kids we talked Jessie into coming out of retirement and she helped raise our kids too. When we were growing up all our friends knew Jessie about as well as we did. When my kids were growing up, all their friends knew her just as well.

In the world’s eyes, Jessie probably didn’t make a huge impact on her world during her 100 years. In the Goddard’s eyes, she made a monumental impact. We carry a piece of her with us everywhere we go. And it is our privilege to have the opportunity to honor her today in Reynolds.

The other celebration will take place in Butler tonight. As I have mentioned here, my wife played on an incredible basketball team some 35 years ago. It was incredible because this Lady Viking team won 132 straight basketball games and five consecutive state championships. Many of the girls who were a part of those teams and even many of the cheerleaders will gather tonight to celebrate that teams accomplishment, catch up with each other, remember the past and honor their great coach.

I asked my wife if she was planning on wearing her old uniform. She gave me a dirty look.

But uniform or not, today will be a day we go back in time to honor and remember. And as I have said here before, the older I get the more I appreciate the people and moments in my past.

One thing is for sure.

We are celebrating two amazing streaks.

1 comment:

Bunny Fuller Harris said...

Thanks for putting our Lady Vikings Winning Streak reunion on your busy schedule, Bruce. I know you don't get much opportunity to just sit back and enjoy an event! Kathy was a great player and teammate during the years of the streak, and I'm glad you both could come.