Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Against All Odds

Let’s see. There are 50 states in the United States of America. That’s 1 in 50. There are seven days in a week. Is that 1 in 350?? It’s been a while since I took statistics. There must be at least 4 or 5 major cities in each state. The odds get much smaller. And there is no telling how many hotels to choose from in each city in each state. The odds are greater to win the lottery.

Confused? You should be. But what I am trying to figure out are the odds of my brother in law and me, who work for different companies and live in different places, ending up in the same hotel on the same night in a city over 500 miles from home.


That is exactly what happened last night. And I have a picture posted here to prove it. You never know who you will run into when you are on the road.

And the interesting thing is this is the second time this has happened.

One night a few years ago the two of us were ending a rather lengthy cell phone conversation as I was riding down the road and Rudy casually asked me my whereabouts. I told him I was heading to the Marriott in Savannah. He laughingly told me he was heading to the same hotel. He was a few hours behind me but we met for breakfast the next morning.

Last night around midnight we were visiting in the lobby of the Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center Hotel. I have discovered that life can really be interesting when you are on the road. You get to meet all kinds of new people in other places.

But sometimes you run into people you know very well a long way from home.

Against all odds.

No comments: