Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I Wonder Who's Right


I have often wondered why there are so many churches. Have you ever noticed?

They have all sorts of names such as First Baptist, Second Baptist, Southside Baptist, Westside Baptist, Primitive Baptist, First United Methodist, First Christian, Wesley Methodist, Congregational Methodist, First Presbyterian, AME, CME, Freewill Baptist, Assembly of God, Church of God, Church of God of Prophesy, Church of Christ, Church of the Holy Spirit, Church of the Deliverance, Victory, Congregational Holiness, , Calvary, Immanuel, Bethel, Bethlehem, Bethesda, Berean, Beulahland, Bethany, Gilead, Antioch, Midway, Mt. Carmel, Mt Olive, Mt Nebo, Mt. Zion, Mt. Pleasant, Evangel Temple, Harvest Cathedral, Community Church, St. Joseph, St Peter, Sacred Heart and Salvation Army.

And you know I could go on and on and on and on.

When you think about it everybody has different beliefs. They may not have major differences but different enough that says, “I don’t want to go to church with you.” So we have all these churches competing with each other for members and tithe money. And most members believe they are right and all the other churches are wrong. Or maybe they attend their church because they like the preacher better than the other preacher. Or they get mad with one preacher and find themselves another preacher.


But I saw a church tonight in Fort Smith Arkansas that got my attention. Goddard United Methodist Church. I can tell you if I lived in this town I would be a member of this church. They were having their Wednesday night services and I really wanted to walk in and introduce myself. I don’t know if they have any deals going on such as 90 days same as cash or 5% tithes, but with my name I bet I could get elected deacon or trustee or something. When the Sunday school class goes to the Catfish Restaurant for their Christmas party, I could even ride on the Goddard United Methodist Bus.

My reason for wanting to join Goddard UMC is probably not a good one. But I do like the name.

I can tell you there are a lot of churches out here in the USA and people certainly have the right to attend the church that fits their beliefs.

But sometimes I do wonder who’s right.

3 comments:

George Goddard said...

gHaving a close connection with the Goddard family for 55 years or so, I would urge extreme caution in attending this church.
Yours truly,
George Goddard

Anonymous said...

Like your previous blog says, "In many ways we are all the same."

Anonymous said...

I live in the Atlanta area where there are plenty of churches, but I'm always a little surprised whenever I visit Warner Robins.

If a building stays unused for too long, it becomes a church. Does not matter if it is next to an old garage with a lot full of junker cars -- stay still long enough and the "Holy Congregation of the Left Hand of the Divine Affirmation Church of God" will appear.