Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy Birthday


Our vacation is about to come to an abrupt ending. We spent all day everyday on the beach, ate seafood at night and even played a game or two after that in the condo.

I’m sure Taylor will never remember this trip but we will forever remember how much fun we all had with her. I have a feeling when she gets home she is going to ask her Mom or Meme or Nana to take her to the beach. She will have a difficult time for a while understanding that the beach is not out the back door at home.

I read three good books this week - one of which was a great book. The books, in case you are wondering, are Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore, Always By My Side by Jim Nantz and The Shack by William Young. The one by Hall and Moore was the great one. In fact it may be the best and most impactful book I’ve ever read – and I’ve read a few.


Kathy and I celebrated our 31st anniversary on Thursday. We went out to eat with everybody and then we all came back and played Balderdash. It has been a while since I played that game but it’s a good one. We laughed a lot. And as you know by now, I love to see people laugh – especially when it is my family that is laughing. That makes for a great anniversary.

Luke is in summer school and he and his girlfriend Drew did not make the trip. One of these days we will get the whole family together. For you folks out there with grown children, you know that is not an easy thing to do.

I have been reminded again that the time I spend with my family is the best time of all. I’m not sure what I spent this week in dollars but it was worth far more than that.

If my Mama was still living she would be celebrating her 91st birthday tomorrow. Mama, I’m quite sure you have a grand view of what’s happening here these days but in case you’re wondering – family time continues in the Goddard household and I know you would like that.

And by the way, your great granddaughter has already learned to fold her hands when we say grace over meals.

Happy Birthday America.

And Happy Birthday Mama.

No comments: