Friday, September 05, 2008

So Brilliant


Being a fairly non political person, I have nonetheless spent several late night evenings the past couple of weeks listening and watching the two major political parties showcase their candidates at their conventions. I have lost some sleep but I am not sure if I gained understanding.

But this non political average American will make a few observations and comments:

1. Barack Obama is one heck of a speaker. I don’t care if you are a Democrat or a Republican or an Independent or a Communist – the man can electrify a crowd.

2. Sarah Palin ain’t far behind him in speaking ability if she is behind him at all. She surprised a lot of folks when she took the podium the other night. She can electrify a crowd too – even when her teleprompter is not working properly.

3. I don’t think being a great speaker is a prerequisite to being a great President. Some of the smartest and most effective leaders I have known in life were not great public speakers.

4. I am not hung up on the experience of the next President. No newly elected President has ever had experience being President.

5. John McCain is a true American hero.

6. Being an American hero is not necessarily a prerequisite for being a great President.

7. Barack Obama’s rise to the top is an incredible American story.

8. Having an incredible American story is not necessarily a prerequisite to being a great President.

9. Barack Obama, John McCain, Joe Biden and Sarah Palin are all highly intelligent folks.

10. I have very close friends who are Democrats. They are well informed, highly educated and successful people and they are supporting the Obama – Biden ticket.

11. I have very close friends who are Republicans. They are well informed, highly educated and successful people and they are supporting the McCain – Palin ticket.

12. Who Oprah is supporting is at the very bottom of my “Who Gives a Crap” list.

13. I believe “Issues” are overrated in a political race. Most of the issues candidates in both parties promise to resolve never get resolved.

14. I have genuine compassion for people who are less fortunate.

15. Because of my genuine compassion, I regularly give part of my income to others who need it more than I do.

16. I do not trust our government to take my money in the form of taxes to look after who they have defined as less fortunate.

17. Government is too big, too powerful and too wasteful.

18. I believe we do need change in Washington.

19. It is possible that a candidate can “use change to promote his career.”

20. It is also possible that a candidate can “use his career to promote change.”

21. The most important attribute of a leader is character.

22. John McCain’s character was proven in a POW prison camp.

23. Joe Biden is going to have his hands full when he debates Sarah Palin.

24. I talked to several folks after McCain named Governor Palin as his running mate. The consensus was his selection would either end up to be a disaster or brilliant.

25. So far – so brilliant.

26. Does anybody know where I can get a McCain - Palin bumper sticker for my car?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vote for who you want. just remember what a mess C. Jack Ellis left Macon in and that is precisely what will happen to the U. S. if Barrack Hussein Obama is elected.

Anonymous said...

I am a big fan of Palin. I thought her speech at the convention was awesome. I love seeing a brilliant, conservative woman in politics.
Holly

Harry Knopp said...

For those who want to learn more about Sarah Palin or show their discontent with Oprah:

There's a section of links on http://www.USAMediaGuide.com to:
--The "Get Sarah Palin on Oprah" petition and website
--The Amazon.com page where you can buy her biography
--The Anchorage newspaper's biography of her
--The Palintology.com blog that has followed her career
--The local Anchorage news outlets that cover her
--Other Sarah Barracuda-related sites

Anonymous said...

"I believe 'Issues' are overrated in a political race. Most of the issues candidates in both parties promise to resolve never get resolved."

This is a great point and a great post!

Anonymous said...

"So Brilliant" was this blog also! Thank you! Character has to matter, because that is the determining factor when decisions are being made about important "issues" or actions that can effect everyone in the country. Selfless rather than selfish character is more important than the "issues". Thanks again Bruce for another brilliant and timely blog.

Anonymous said...

17. Government is too big, too powerful and too wasteful.

You can't do too much about government being too wasteful. It is the nature of the beast. Any politician who runs on a platform of eliminating government waste is just trying to avoid taking a stand on anything.

Too big and too powerful? There's probably nothing that you can do about that either. It is the nature of government to become too big and powerful.

McCain or Obama, government will become bigger and more powerful. Looking over the past 16 years, you cannot necessarily say that the Republican will make government smaller and less powerful than the Democrat.

That's why I am considering sending my vote to Bob Barr.

Anonymous said...

You can get a McCain/Palin bumper sticker at the Republican Headquarters on Watson.

As for voting for Bob Barr, please don't. I know Bob well and have a lot of respect for him, but a vote for him is a vote for Obama.

Luke Goddard said...

#12, #16, and #21 pretty much sums it up for me...

Anonymous said...

GO McCAIN/PALIN !!!!!
kg

Anonymous said...

Great Blog
http://www.johnmccain.com/
Go to the store tab and see
http://www.goptrunk.com/
order you bumper sticker there