Tuesday, December 16, 2008

You Can't Help But Smile


If you enjoy keeping up with people you currently see on a regular basis and those you haven’t seen in a long time, Facebook is the best thing since sliced bread. You can view pictures your Facebook friends have posted, post messages to their Wall for all to see or send private messages. I think the neatest thing is to read the status updates. I find myself reading those and smiling almost every night before turning off the light.

You may read that somebody is tired after a long day and plans on going to bed early, someone else is fighting insomnia, another is practicing their violin, another had fun bowling, another hoped they passed their test, and another is thankful for all the birthday wishes. You will discover that somebody hit a deer , somebody else chased wild turkeys across a golf course, another just finished their Christmas shopping, another made a mess making Gingerbread houses, another thinks they have the best husband in the world and another is suffering from a headache.

You can’t help but smile.

You also smile when you get requests from people to be your friend. Out of the blue you hear from someone you haven’t seen in years and in a few seconds you accept them and get caught up on their life through posted messages and pictures.

I think Facebook started as a social network for young folks but older folks are quickly jumping on the Facebook train.

Case in point, last night I got a friend request from Ruth Jones and I smiled big time. In fact I’m still smiling as I type this. To many of you, that name won’t mean much but some of you are now smiling too. Ruth Jones taught me in school in the 6th, 7th and 8th grades. In fact she is the only one of my elementary school teachers still standing.

She now resides in an Assisted Living Home. I won’t dare tell you how old she is but I will say she is a genuine member of the Greatest Generation. And I will also tell you she greatly impacted a ton of folks over the years as a schoolteacher and I am certainly one of them.

And now she is impacting folks through Facebook.

Her status last night? Ruth is relaxing after a trip to the doctor and Chinese food.

You can’t help but smile.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miss Ruth and all the teachers we had in Reynolds had a major impact on our lives. May be because we were all family. They knew our parents and grandparents and we knew what was expected of us. We knew that they wouldn't think twice about calling our parents if we didn't do our homework or had done something wrong. We have a lot of good teachers today, but they don't have the advantage of the small town school. Those were wonderful days.

Anonymous said...

I had just recently wondered about Miss Ruth and how she was doing. When I saw your blog today I immediately recognized her and knew the answer to my question. Like a lot of others I had her as a teacher (after she started teaching at TCHS) and she influenced my life. I will always remember what an EEG is because of her. Glad to know she is alive and well.

Anonymous said...

How cute! An elderly school teacher with a Facebook account!

You're right -- it does seem that there are almost as many older people on Facebook as young ones. My teenage son and most of his youth group have an account, as do many of the adult ladies in our church, although I haven't seen any the age of Miss Ruth (yet)!

LL in SC