Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Things I've Learned as I've Gotten Older by Larry Walker

by Larry Walker


I’ve learned that you can leave your problems at work and pick ‘em up the next morning. Seldom do I take problems home with me.

I’ve leaned that family is the most important thing in my world. Daddy told me. Daddy was right.

I’ve learned that next to family, friends are most important. I’m blessed to have lots of friends.

I’ve learned that from the most powerful to the meekest, all people want to be recognized and appreciated.

I’ve learned that if you’ll let the other fellow do all the talking, you’ll be surprised at how smart he will think you are.

I’ve learned that the four most important words in dealing with people are: “What do you think?” Then, listen. You’ll be surprised at what you’ll find out, and you’ll be pleased at how much they will like you.

I’ve learned that as to lots of things I really wanted, when I got ‘em, they don’t give me nearly the pleasure I thought they would.

I’ve learned that my work experiences as a youngster have meant much more to me than my play experiences.

I’ve learned that I’ve learned much more from my failures than I have from my successes.

I’ve learned that much of my success is because I have surrounded myself with folks that are smarter than I am.

I’ve learned that life is fast. Daddy liked to say that “the days get longer and the years get shorter.” Again, Daddy was right.

I’ve learned that the church or mosque or synagogue or whatever you call yours is what helps to hold society together and keeps us from having anarchy.


I’ve learned to slow down as life has speeded up. You can get to Atlanta almost as fast at 70 as you can at 79 - and, you stand a better chance at getting there safer.

I’ve learned that dogs are a lot smarter than I thought they were, and that our national leaders are not nearly as smart as they need to be.

I’ve learned that wisdom and common sense are rare commodities in today’s leadership market.

I’ve learned that too many folks are against more than they are for, and that it’s easier to tear down a house than it is to build one.

I’ve learned that athletes are bigger, stronger and faster, today, but not necessarily tougher, smarter or have more heart.

I’ve learned that technological advancements don’t necessarily make things faster or easier or make their users happier.

I’ve learned that everyone wants peace of mind and that so many don’t have it and never will.

I’ve learned that the most powerful thing in the world are the words “I love you” from someone who means them.

I’ve learned that most of us want mercy and not justice and, fortunately, that’s what most of us get.

I’ve learned that I will never understand why I was born of good parents in the most affluent country in the world, when so many were not.

I’ve learned that there is lots of style but much less class, and that class has nothing to do with money, position, intelligence or style.

I’ve learned that a smile and words like “please”, “thank-you”, “please forgive me”, and “I forgive you” will take you a long way in life.

I’ve learned that the busier I am, the more things I get done.

And lastly, I’ve learned that “the sun don’t shine on the same dog all the time”! 

That’s about the way it goes, isn’t it? 

No comments: