Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Chill Bump Moments in Israel (Article 5 of 6)

On top of Mount Carmel
We stood on top of Mt Carmel, where we were reminded of the story from 1 Kings 18,  “Now summon the people from all over Israel to meet me on Mount Carmel. And bring the four hundred and fifty prophets of Baal and four hundred prophets of Asherah, who eat at Jezebel’s table.”  How can I even begin to explain actually standing on top of Mount Carmel where Elijah took on the false prophets and actually taunted them. It was on top of that mountain where Elijah proclaimed those famous words, “How long will you waver between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow him; but if Baal is God, follow him.”  The realization that those words are as pertinent today as they were thousands of years ago got my undivided attention.  It was also on Mt Carmel where Elijah built the altar with the twelve stones, representing the twelve tribes descended from Jacob.  And after digging the trenches and soaking it all with water, it was on the top of this mountain that the fire of the Lord fell and burned it all. And the crowd all fell prostrate and cried, vs 39 “The Lord, He is God! The Lord - He is God.”  And as the chill bumps come as i type this, I wonder what He thinks when we still waver between two opinions. 

Co-travelers at the Western Wall
I really can’t describe my thoughts when we first saw the walls of Jerusalem, I think we were all overwhelmed with just the history of this ancient city and its importance in God’s Word.   My mind also immediately went to the last two chapters of Revelation where John describes the new Jerusalem and the walls and the gates and I thought of what is to come.  We spent time at the Western Wall, which is a sacred place because it is the closest physical place to the Holy of Holies, that housed the Arc of the Convenant which represented the presence of God Himself.  I had several people that knew I was going to Jerusalem ask me to say a prayer of them and put their name in that wall.  I heard them and really didn’t commit, but I made a note of each.  The night before we went to the wall, I wrote each of those names (and a few more who did not ask) on a strip of paper.  I really don’t think God hears prayers more at the wall than he does at my house, because I know that veil has been torn, but I can tell you I said a prayer for about 10 people and placed their individual names in that wall.  Just in case.   

In Jerusalem we knew we had to go under the current streets to get to the streets of the ancient city we read about in the Bible.  We started our journey down when we entered the City of David.  The good news is that is not nearly as hot under the city than it is on top of it, but we had to work to get under it.  As we started that journey, I was immediately stunned when Boaz told us we were looking at what archeologists strongly believe is the ruins of King David’s palace.  We were told in all likelihood, this would have been the place where David saw Bathsheba, the wife of his general Uriah.  We all know how that story ended and all the lies that followed,  But the lesson and the chill bump moment came when we were reminded that, in spite of all the lies and sin- Jesus was a descendent of David and Bathsheba.  This  is an incredible illustration of the grace of God and proof that God has always had the ability to turn the bad into good and take the ugly and turn it to beauty. Because of that eternal truth, there is hope for all of us.
King David's Palace

We traveled even deeper under the city.  I won’t tell you about the unfriendly claustrophobic tunnels we were in coming and going - but we did make it to the Pool of Siloam that was only discovered in 2004.  We were reminded it was Jesus who asked the man who had been blind since birth to wash the mud off his eyes in this pool.  It was surreal sitting on the steps of that pool and listening to that story there.   But the chill bump moment came as we began to walk through the tunnel to get out and we were told, with 100% certainty, Jesus walked on these stones.  This would happen again later that day when we walked through another tunnel under the Western Wall.   To walk in Jesus steps in the United States in 2017 is not an easy task.  To literally put your feet where He walked physically, is an overwhelming moment in one’s life.  And one I will never forget.

Southern Steps
 We also gathered at the steps of the southern end of Temple Mount outside the walls of the city.  These were also known as the “Rabbi Steps” and it is believed that Jesus would frequently teach on these steps right outside the wall of Jerusalem. As Boaz and Andy were teaching, they told us about the places of ceremonial washings or “mikvahs” that we could easily see behind them.  To say there were many mikvahs  would be another understatement.  If we didn’t already have enough chill bumps sitting in that heat on those steps thinking that Jesus taught there, more child bumps were about to form on top of chill bumps again.  In Acts 2 we read that Pentecost happened in Jerusalem.. v5 “Now they were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. …. and each one heard their own language spoken.”  We also read in Acts that sermon Peter preached  and v41 “those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.”  Where else could 3,000 people be baptized except in all the mikvahs we were seeing in front of us?  I did not hear the blowing of a violent wind and I did not see tongues of fire, but I can tell you chill bumps formed on top of other chill bumps when I realized what could very well have happened right where we were sitting.


1 comment:

Debra McCullough said...

WOW! That story of Elijah proving God over Baal is one of my very favorites! I would have loved to have seen it! Wanda and Rebecca volunteered to carry our prayers to the wall and I was able to get one to Debby Walls on the Sunday y'all left for Israel. I agree that God hears our prayers wherever we are, but its like I have a secret between me and God hidden in that wall.