Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I Believe


(Smithville, TX) This little town with a population of about 4500 about an hour south of Austin promotes itself as the best kept secret in Texas. I visited there today on business… but I kept my non-business eyes open. And I saw enough to believe.

In 1998 the movie Hope Floats was filmed here. Sandra Bullock, who starred in that movie, said she chose Smithville because “I wanted to find a place where people had a sense of pride and honesty about who they were. There is a special atmosphere that is almost palpable and an energy that says ‘Home’. I wanted that feeling in the film. It’s certainly not something that could ever be created in a studio.”

Today’s visit took me back in time. As we drove through the little town, the stores were not vacant. Business was alive and well. There were cars in all the parking places. I noticed people going in and out of stores doing business with their neighbors I’m sure they have known all their lives. People were waving to their friends as they passed by and I saw several conversations in full swing on the sidewalks.

For a brief shining moment I thought it was 1965 in Reynolds, GA.

Tonight we drove into Houston Texas. The interstate was packed with cars. I heard horns honking, a few dirty looks from hurried commuters and even one obscene gesture from someone who was probably having his usual bad day.

I would suspect that people who have never lived in a small town have no idea what Sandra Bullock’s comment really means.

There is a special atmosphere that is almost palpable. And there is an energy that says “home”. And people do have a sense of pride and honesty about who they are.

And you could never create that in a studio…or a big city.

You can get me out of the little town.

But you will never get the little town out of me.

No comments: