Friday, July 21, 2006

She Calls Me Daddy Bruce


Kristy spent a lot of time with us when she was a young girl and even moved in with us for a while. She came into our life because she was in a difficult place. Maybe we could make a difference in her life.

She didn’t seem very appreciative during those few months she was at our house. She didn’t like having some strange man telling her what she could do or could not do. Sometimes she would get so mad with me she would scream and go in her room and slam the door.

I would give her a little time but would always coax her to come out and talk it out. I was determined to build a relationship with her. There is no telling how many hours we sat up at night talking about everything under the sun.

We talked about life and love…and her future… and the potential I saw in her. I told her she could do anything she wanted to do.

In our home, we all tell each other, “I love you” on a regular basis. Kristy had a hard time with that. Her reply was usually only, “OK”.

She eventually moved out and moved on but our relationship with her continued.

Kristy is all grown up now and happily married. I went by to see her today to get a haircut. Every time I see her now she tells me she loves me and I tell her the same. We always hug and give each other a peck kiss. She calls me Daddy Bruce.

Kristy works hard and has done very well for herself. Their daughter graduated from high school this year with honors and will attend Georgia Tech in the fall.


There is no way I could express in words how proud I am of Kristy. The potential I saw when she was a young girl became reality.

Today I was thinking… maybe we did make a difference.

If we did, it was worth every ounce of the investment.

She sure has made a difference in our lives. That is for sure.

No comments: