Saturday, August 05, 2006

No Longer Out Numbered

My wife, Kathy, was always out-numbered at our house. Having three sons, the guys always out numbered the one female in the Goddard household.

In other words Kathy spent much of her time picking up dirty socks, washing dirty underwear and cooking a bunch of meals for a bunch of hungry guys. She also taught school at the same time.

I really don’t know how she did it.

I remember us wondering many times in those T-Ball and Little League years who our boys would end up marrying.

To tell you the truth, when the boys got old enough to date, I wondered if each girl they happened to be dating would be my daughter in law one day. And I always treated them as if they would. The girls they brought home were always queens at our house. Treated like royalty. I made sure of that.

I overheard a telephone conversation our oldest son, David, had with a girlfriend one night after his sixteenth birthday and he had just gotten a used truck for his birthday. He was breaking up with a very cute girl.

The reason he gave to her, and I quote, “I feel like I need to spend more time with my truck.”

Check that future daughter in law off.

But the girls kept coming… and leaving. I tried to keep in touch with them all figuring I needed to keep the door open in case the boys needed to crawl back.

But one day that all stopped.


Tami came on the scene first. I remember the first night she drove over to Reynolds to meet us. Oh my gosh. We all fell in love with her.

Shortly after her first visit, I remember her dad calling over one night about midnight waking me from a deep sleep looking for his daughter. Scared me to death. Surely John had not lost this man’s daughter. I did find them that night and actually followed her home to be sure she got there safely.

Tami and John never dated anyone else again. They were married 14 months ago and she is carrying our grandchild as I type. Baby Goddard is expected to arrive in the early part of February.

David was a tougher case. For the life of me I could not figure out what he was looking for. He dated all these gorgeous girls but he never would get serious. I kept asking him, “What in the heck are you looking for?”

He never did answer that question until he brought Holly home one day. He answered my question then.

“This is she,” he said.

He had found her.

About a year and a half later they were married. They have been married six months now and spent the night here on the way to the beach last night. This morning as Holly, Kathy and I were taking a walk through our neighborhood, I was reminded of how grateful I am David found her.

Luke is not married yet but if he and Drew don’t get married one day, I will be surprised. She fits right in around here and he must fit in at the Watkins house as well. Drew’s dad could legally claim him on his taxes.

From the time our boys were able to walk, we prayed for their future wives. For one thing, these future wives would probably decide when we go in a nursing home one day.


The Goddard boys have punted way past their coverage.

One thing is for absolute certain. God answered our prayers.

And Kathy is no longer out numbered at the Goddard household.

No comments: