Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Margin


I’ve been asked by several people how I find time to do these articles almost daily. I have found that taking a few minutes at night or early in the morning to write whatever I’m thinking helps keep my sanity.

I learned in our home group discussion the other night that a doctor wrote a book several years ago entitled “Margin.” The point of his book was the importance of having balance in your life.

Can you imagine how difficult it would be to read a book if the pages you were trying to read had no margins at the top, bottom and sides? There would be words all over the page and it would be very difficult to take it all in.

Same is true in life.

I can have a lot on my pages these days. It would be very easy for me to fill my whole page up with no margins.

Writing these blogs is a way for me to have margins in my life. And it makes my regular tasks and responsibilities in the business world much more manageable.

Makes me better at what I do for a living.

The blogs have also allowed me to stay in contact and renew acquaintances with old friends.

For instance I know that my lifelong friends that I hardly ever see, Debbie and Donna, read my articles on a regular basis and I’ve heard from both several times. I’ve gotten some emails from fraternity brothers that I have not heard from in over 30 years. I’ve made a connection with Wade and Hazel Lane’s grandchildren who live in another part of the United States. Because I wrote about Molly Childree, I had a phone conversation with her and got to tell her how much I think of her. I’ve had the opportunity to brag to the whole world about my three boys and my gorgeous daughters in law. I even exchanged emails with the girl who jumped in the freezing pool with me years ago. And I could go on and on.

I’ve also showed the world the beautiful women I have slept with and my wife didn’t kill me (since all the photos were of her).

I have also met new friends through this blog. The other night a complete stranger came up to me and told me she reads my blog every day. Others that I know have mentioned my blog and I had no idea they were reading it.

The best part has been remembering some special people who greatly impacted my life and honoring others who are still impacting it.

And the life lessons I sometimes tie-in are for me as much as they are for the reader.

In my view we have only one shot at life. I want to connect with as many people as I can along the way.

As Phil Mickelson said after winning the Masters Golf Tournament, “ The prize is not in winning the green jacket but the prize is in the journey.”

I just don't want to fill up my pages with no margins and miss the journey along the way.

No comments: