Monday, March 26, 2007

Not Even Close


I’ve been asked by a lot of folks why I haven’t shown many pictures or written about baby Taylor lately. Well I’ll catch you right up tonight.

Taylor Reese is doing just wonderful. And she is absolutely crazy about her Papa. Kathy called me last Friday afternoon and told me we were having spend the night company. Tami has had the crud and was not feeling well and when she called Kathy to tell her she didn’t feel good, Kathy was over there before Tami could hang up the phone.


Taylor did spend the night with us and she slept like a little angel. We strolled her Saturday morning all through the neighborhood and stopped to visit with everybody we could find outside. Saturday went way too quickly and it was the Gatlyn’s (other grandparents) turn on Saturday night. So Taylor got to spend two nights in a row with two sets of grandparents. Has she got it made or what?

I’m sure Taylor will have to wonder about a lot of things as she grows up but she will not ever have to wonder if she is loved. Trust me she is getting plenty of that. With her mommy and daddy and two sets of grandparents just a few minutes away that is definitley not a problem. And John and Tami don’t have to run ads in the paper for a babysitter. That is for sure.

I’m heading out of town tomorrow but I got another surprise tonight when I got home. Taylor had come over to visit her Meme and Papa again. We just got back from another stroll in the neighborhood. In a few minutes we will deliver her back to her house.

Let me tell you something.


I’ve had the privilege to experience more than I could ever imagine in this life. I’ve been able to do things I never thought I would get to do. I had the honor to be playing golf with my dad on two separate occasions when he had a hole in one. I also had the privilege to have my dad witness my one and only double eagle. I’ve made the winning shot with one second left to win a basketball game. I was in Atlanta Fulton County Stadium the night of April 8, 1974 when Hank Aaron (without steroids) hit home run number 715 to surpass Babe Ruth as the greatest home run hitter of all time. I was on the hallowed ground of the Augusta National Golf Club in 1985 when Jack Nicklaus won his 6th green jacket. I was in the stands in New Orleans at the 1981 Sugar Bowl when Hershel Walker and the Georgia Bulldogs beat Notre Dame to win the national championship. And I sat on the third row of game 3 of the 1992 World Series which was the first World Series game ever played in Atlanta.

Those were great moments in my life. And moments that I will never forget.

But nothing - no nothing - compares to being a Papa.

Not even close.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right, nothing compare's to being a grandparent. It gets better and better. We have 4 granddaughters and our first grandson is 3 weeks old.

Anonymous said...

She is absolutley precious! I cannot wait to see her in person-hopefully soon. I know you and Aunt Kathy are enjoying every minute and John and Tami are so grateful for you two to watch her. Please keep the pictures coming.
love you,
Katherine