Sunday, March 25, 2007

A Suggestion From an Undertaker


I believe I was in the sixth grade when Mr. Arthur Hogan came to Reynolds to teach at the Reynolds Junior High School. We had never had a male teacher up to that time with the exception of a coach we had for a couple of years who taught us health and PE. Mr. Hogan definitely brought something to the party of which we were not accustomed.

For one thing he was brilliant. My friend Chuck Byrd and I would get history books and encyclopedias and pull all kinds information out and create tests for him to see if we could come up with a question he did not know the answer to. To my knowledge, he never missed a question.

He was also a disciplinarian. His mode of discipline was to make guys who were acting up in the classroom to get in what he called the “front lean rest position.” This is the push up position when your arms are extended. He figured he could punish us and also make us continue to listen to what was going on in class. It would not be unusual to walk in his classroom and see half the guys sitting in their desks and the other half on the floor in the “front lean rest position” as he was continuing to lecture.

But he was a creative teacher and had us doing things we had never done before in a classroom. I don’t think our class appreciated his teaching and creativity back then but we have great appreciation now as we look back.

Mr. Hogan and his wife had a couple of daughters who moved with them to Reynolds. The older of those two, Julie, would later become really good friends with my future wife in high school. We ended up double dating with Julie and her high school boyfriend several times during those high school years. We also attended church youth group meetings and other events with Julie.

As usually happens with high school friends who move away, Kathy and Julie pretty much lost contact with each other since they graduated from high school almost 35 years ago. Since Julie was the captain of the basketball cheerleading squad during some of the Lady Viking glory years, Julie and Kathy were reunited at the recent Lady Viking reunion. It was fun for me watching them and listening to them take up where they left off 35 years ago. I can tell you they had no trouble drumming up a conversation and remembering things that happened over 35 years ago as if they happened last week. I reminded them of a few things I remember that they would just as soon forget.

It was fun for me listening to two women who were great friends many moons ago reminisce about days gone by. I was reminded of a great time in my own life that is so much a part of who I am today. I saw two old friends enjoying the moment. They smiled and laughed out loud and got caught up. And it was a very good thing.

As a blogger who views life from a hearse, let me make a suggestion. Think about a few old friends you spent so much time with years ago that you haven’t seen or heard from in years. Chase them down. Look them up. It is an easy thing to do these days with the power of the internet.

Life is too short.

And you will be glad you did.

No comments: