Monday, November 29, 2010

I Should Be Shining His Shoes

I have come to the realization that I kinda quit blogging about the time the Eulan Brown book came out. There was also a major change in my work world about the same time - which resulted in more traveling.

That would actually be a whole lot more traveling.

In fact I am writing this on a very dreary Monday evening from the Delta Sky Club on Concourse A at the Atlanta Airport awaiting my ride to New England.

For some of you who wouldn’t know, I replaced the writing with Twitter and Facebook - which allows me to connect with a bunch of folks on the run. It only takes a few seconds to grab my I-Phone and Tweet. It takes longer to sit down to write an article.

But I have missed the writing. It is therapy for me. So I supposed what I have really missed is the therapy.

When I got to the airport tonight, I visited with the man I call Bryant the Shoeshine Man. Bryant and I have become friends. Our friendship began the first time I met him on May 1, 2007. I learned enough about him while he was shining my shoes that day to write about him on this blog. Our friendship grew when I showed up 2 1/2 years later with a copy of The Legacy of Eulan Brown and showed him he was in it. Since then, I have visited with him many times and sent him several copies of the book so he could share with his family and friends. Trust me, he didn’t pay for the books either.

For some reason I have a hard time asking him to shine my shoes these days. I feel like I should be shining his shoes.

My visit today with Bryant reminded me how easy it is to miss the special people God puts in our path.

My visit also inspired me to start looking for them again.

No comments: