Friday, February 04, 2011

He Can Do Anything

A few weeks ago I picked up the remote and turned my television on just as the Golden Globes was going off air.

I heard a remark that made the hair stand on the back of my neck. In fact I asked my wife if I heard what I thought I heard. I went online the next day and found his closing comment was making waves all over the internet.

Rickey Gervais’ closing comment was, and I quote, “I would like to thank God for making me an atheist.”

I understand the man is a comedian and he was making an attempt to be funny. He was poking fun at all the folks who receive awards by thanking God. I am one of those folks that can find humor in most anything but I found absolutely no humor in his comment. I did read about him the next day and found that he really is an atheist and seems to be very proud of it.

We do live in a free country and Mr. Gervais certainly has the right to be an atheist.

But since it is a free country I also have the right to say what I think about his comment. Instead of doing that, I’ll let you read what I think straight out of the Good Book for yourself. Psalm 14:1 is a bible verse I learned many years ago in Sunday school.


I thought about ole’ Rickey and Psalm 14:1 again when I was introduced to little Allie Grace Goddard this morning. My daughter in law, Holly, gave birth to her at 9:11AM today.

She’s got her daddy’s nose and her mama’s mouth. And she already has this Papa’s heart.

How can anyone look at a brand new baby and say there is no God? As a result of an act of love, a human being grows from a seed connecting with an egg, is nurtured in the mother’s womb and arrives on the scene as a person with characteristics of the parents.

And the grandparents.

I don’t think I have ever heard a man exactly explain all that.

I was reminded again today that there really is a God and He still performs miracles.

I saw Him today.

And I saw a miracle.

That means there is hope for all of us, no matter what we face or how high the mountains are in front of us.

If He can do what He did today, He really can do anything.

2 comments:

Jerry Walls said...

One of your best yet! Congratulations on that new baby girl!

Jerry Walls said...

Awesome! One of your best yet!