Friday, May 11, 2007

Making Her Mark

This email was sent to me on March 20th. I guess it has been floating around in cyberspace for the past couple of months because I just received it today. And this is one I am very grateful I received. And you will be too when you read it.

I have known Lisa all my life. She was three grades ahead of me in school. I did not know about her illness. I would ask all of you to remember her in your prayers.

She thinks she hasn't left much of a mark on the world. Although I think she is so wrong about that - she is about to leave a mark right here.

And this mark will be preserved for generations to come.

Be inspired this Friday night by the words of my lifelong friend. And listen very carefully to her wisdom.

And witness her making her mark.

_____________________________________

Bruce,

I've read your book & I've read your blogs and it never ceases to amaze me at some of the things you come up with, the way you convey them to your readers and the memories you always seem to bring to my mind with your stories. You have such a gift. I know you've been told this many, many times, but I KNOW you do.

I remember going into the grocery store as I was growing up & seeing your dad there. Aunt Ruth would always give me a nickel to get a candy bar or pack of gum or something & tell me how she sure wished my mama & daddy could get my teeth fixed (I know she meant no harm but I was already self-conscious enough about my teeth). I don't know if your daddy heard her or not but he would always say something to make me smile and then tell me I was just about the prettiest thing he'd ever seen. He made me forget about my crooked teeth. Moreover, he made me feel special; like I was somebody, just for him speaking to me.

I can't recall a time ever seeing you out somewhere that you didn't know who I was & speak to me in the same way your daddy did; just as you did Saturday night. It was good to see you at the reunion. Everyone had a wonderful time. I know I did.


I read your blogs about your granddaughter & I have to tell you I have 2 now; one is 4, the other was just born Jan 14 of this year. The first one took me in tailspin. My family all used to talk about the fact that my children were always my world, my whole life. I didn't think I could love a grandchild any more, and I don't guess I do really but it's different. Sally Kate wrapped me around her little finger from the very first moment after I saw her come into this world. She loves her "gamma" & she knows her gamma loves her. My daughter allowed me the privilege of witnessing the miracle of birth once again when Leah graced our lives in Jan. I have to say it was the most awesome thing I've ever had the privilege to be a part of. There's nothing like grandchildren! God has blessed us with two of the most beautiful little girls He possibly could. I understand perfectly the message you were trying to convey in your blog about your Taylor. I know I don't have to tell you this, but spend every moment you can with her. Love her. Know her, and let her know you. Let her learn what an awesome grandpa she has in that he has served God, his family and his friends all his life.

I have pancreatic cancer, diagnosed about a year and a half ago. Although I have already lived much, much longer than any of the doctors in Macon, Emory & Texas said I would, I know my days are numbered. I keep fighting and I keep telling myself I'm going to beat it. Everyday when I wake up I thank God for letting me have another day with my family, especially my granddaughters. You have an incredible chance for your granddaughter to know you. Don't waste it.

You have done so well with your life. I know your mama and daddy are so proud of you. You are leaving your mark on the world with your stories. You're touching so many lives. I have not left a mark and now it's too late. Unfortunately, my granddaughters are so young that they will only know me through pictures in the family album and what their mama tells them about me.

Keep up your good work and take care. May God continue to bathe you in His love and care.

Lisa Nelson Windham

(posted by permission from Lisa N. Windham)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this letter. I am so sorry to hear of Lisa's health problems. I will keep her in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Lisa we love you and hope you beat this cancer! I know you can! Keep fighting!
Love
Heather Roberson Nipper